Monday, October 6, 2008

True Worship

The debate has been around now for years and will probably remain for many years to come...what kind of music should be played in the church?

That is definitely not what I want to discuss on this blog.  The myriad of opinions, preferences, arguments, and positions on this matter can be rather nauseating to say the least.  Rather, I'd like to praise my Lord today for what I was blessed to experience in my own heart this past Sunday.  

I cannot put my finger on anything in particular in the music service itself that was any different than what is customary at most of our Sunday services.  Present were the live instruments being played, the faithful music pastor, additional praise team members, and a great, fluid theme that was consistent throughout all the songs.  So, what was different?  In my opinion, it was way more about me and my heart than anything else.  And, isn't that the way it is truly supposed to be for everyone?

Too many times, people get sideways and even look for a different church because the music isn't to their liking.  They'd like more this and less this, or the leader isn't exciting enough.  However, the truth is it is impossible to make every single individual perfectly pleased with every aspect of a music service...unless...every single one of them is heart-focused on Him instead of self.  That doesn't mean that everyone who ever voices a thought or concern about something in the music service is a horribly sinful person who is out of control in their walk with Christ.  What it does mean is that all people are sinners and it is very easy to become self-focused about any number of things in the church.

Sunday, my heart was focused on Him and Him alone.  I never had one thought about who was singing, which instruments were playing, or anything else.  Instead, all I could think about was my God, and how He wants nothing but to have a deep, close relationship with me.  With all His might and power, He reaches out to me through His Word and through other believers every single day just inviting me to come closer to Him.  Why He does this, I cannot understand.  But I am so thankful for that fact.

Sunday was extremely different from many other services for sure.  It was a very cool experience and I hope to enjoy many more just like it.  My goal is to enter each service the same way I've heard preachers instruct their church families.  The question has been offered time and again, "Have you prepared for worship today?"  I want to step into the sanctuary having been prepared to do nothing other than worship my God for who He is and give Him all that I am.

No comments: